Thursday, May 16, 2013

Makin' Babies

One of the bigger concerns I've had (I know...there are bigger concerns in life especially when it comes to CF) through this whole thing is whether or not Evan would be able to have a family when the time comes.  As an infant the pulmonolgist would feel around to see if Evan has vas defrens and he thought he felt them.  In February Dr. K referred us to a pediatric urologist.  We went a week later and we met with Dr. C who is an older gentleman was an awesome doctor.  Very upbeat, very friendly, very happy (when I got our bill Ii realized WHY he is so happy...oy) and he treated Evan so well even though he was crying and trying to crawl onto me with every ounce of his being.  We finally got him settled enough to lay him down for the exam.  Thankfully as he felt around he was able to tell me that he indeed felt two vas defrens!  Great news and another step toward the goal.

The goal...what's that?  I guess our goal is to come to a conclusion.  I know we may never get a solid no answer but I suppose it's possible one day we could get a solid yes should Evan show late onset symptoms as they seem to be discovering more and more lately.  How do aI feel about this?  Ultimately I would obsiously love for the stars to align and the researchers to tell us that R1162L is in fact a benign variation.  I don't think that is ever going to happen.  Sad face.  So, next best is that Evan never shows any signs of CF EVER.  That seems to be fading as I think they are thinking he might perhaps have a touch of asthma which I'll get to another day.  So, given asthma symptoms can sometimes be similar to CF symptoms, I'll always wonder if we're going down the correct path.  Only time will tell for that.  Worst case is that they one day decide ok he's got this, this and that and we think we can diagnose him with CF.  That's not best case BUT the silver lining would be closure.  But, for now, it's definitely a maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment