Monday, October 22, 2012

The First Cough

I knew this day would come.  Evan is sick.  Dr. K said that we should watch out for "symptoms of CF" which include the mucousy, stinky poo or a cough that isn't accompanied by any other cold symptoms that doesn't go away.  That's when we would worry that maybe he's CF sick and not just regular baby sick.  Thankfully his cough is accompanied by a runny nose and a generally cranky attitude otherwise I think I would be freaking out more than I already am.  I need to start writing things down because I already forget which day he started with the cough.  I think it was Thursday but note to self that I need to start a sick journal for the kids.   His brother is sick too so I'm sure he gave this cold to him.   This leads me to my current worry.  What if Connor has the same genetic mutations that Evan has and we just  don't know it.  He passed all his newborn screens but we all know that stuff isn't perfect, so now I watch him like a hawk and worry about him as well.  He's 2 1/2 and has had several sinus infection in the last two years.  This cough he has right now with the post nasal drip is really the first bad cough he's ever had and we're treating that with Claritin after we had his pediatrician listen to his lungs.  It's not respiratory which is good.

What if, what if, what if.  I hate that phrase.   I hate this place we're in.  I just  want my kids to get sick and me to give them kisses and hugs and just know they will get better in a couple days.  I don't want to think "What if this cough doesn't go away", or "what if those sinus infections are a sign that Connor has thick mucous in his nasal passages making it easier to get infections?"  One time it took two rounds of antibiotics to clear one up.  They weren't sure if it was one that he didn't get rid of or back to back.  I mean...what if?

Back to Evan.  Poor thing is snotty and gross but thankfully he's sleeping decently.  I propped up his matress last night so that he would drain properly and I didn't hear him cough at all.  Hopefully the poor guy feels better soon.  He was teething and miserable last week and now this week he's snotty and miserable.  Yuck.  October is always filled with runny noses in our house and I just discovered i have snot on my white shirt here at work!  Ewwwww! 

No comments:

Post a Comment